Thursday, May 21, 2015

Don't go today, don't say you will

tr. from Fayyaz Hashmi's 'Aaj jaane ki zidd na karo'

Don't go today, don't say you will,
just sit here by me, or I will
die - I'll shiver and sigh,
if you say such things still -
don't go today, don't say you will.

Why won't I stop you, don't you know
I burn to ash when you start to go,
swear on your life that today
you'll let me have my way - won't you,
still? - don't go today, don't say you will.

All our lives are hostage to time,
except for this moment or two,
would you lose them, then
forever think but regret still -
don't go today, don't say you will.

Here the world's innocent, all colour,
and love and beauty reach the skies,
who knows what tomorrow will bring,
so will you cling to this night, and keep
it still - don't go today, don't say you will.

Fayyaz Hashmi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment